Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Hurray for Tom

We are very excited beecause yesterday Tom accepted a job for next summer. The firm is called Hogan & Hartson and it is actually right across the street from the firm he worked at last summer. To read more about the firm/summer program, click here or here.

I haven't posted in a while because, well, there hasn't really been anything to post. I go to work every day, Tom goes to school every day, and we spend the weekend trying to recover from work and school. Usually the most interesting part of the day is the bus ride to and from UCLA, but that's the bad kind of interesting. Since I don't have anything interesting to report, I guess I'll just ramble on about something for a little bit so feel free to quit reading at this point.

So recently Tom and I reached our 18 month anniversary and I have been thinking about all of the random events that led to us meeting. During the spring term of 2005 I went on a study abroad to Europe. I intended to return to Provo afterward to take summer term classes, but I hadn't arranged housing for when I got back. I spent some time looking up some open contracts online and, since my sister Kara was living in Provo at the time and she owed me money, I sent her around to check out the places and put down a deposit. She chose this little house that was pretty close to campus.

Because I didn't know anyone in the ward, I decided that for summer term I would go up to Salt Lake every weekend and go to my parent's ward. By the time fall semester came around, I decided I should probably go to my student ward. At this point I had a full blown case of mono and was very tired all of the time. I got ready for church, sat down on my couch, and proceeded to sleep through relief society and Sunday school. When I woke up I still had time for sacrament meeting, so I walked up to campus and up to the second floor of the MARB. Unfortunately, I had no idea which room our sacrament meeting was in, but there were these two guys standing outside one of the doors so I asked them which ward was in the room behind them and what time sacrament meeting started. The guys were Tom and his roommate Deuce and they were late for church because they had stayed home with their sick roommate, so we snuck into the back of sacrament meeting and sat together.

This was the week before general conference, so I knew that I wouldn't see Tom again for a couple weeks. I went home and asked my roommates about him, and waited patiently the two weeks until I would see him again. We sat together at church again that week and we have been together ever since.

Sorry, that was kind of long, but I was just thinking that if my sister hadn't chosen that house for me or we hadn't both been late for church that week, I might not be sitting here typing this up when I'm supposed to be working :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're welcome ;)

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the coincidences and little events that HAVE to happen in order for us to make that all-important connection with a spouse-to-be. Thanks for telling your story!

betsey said...

YIPPEE! Congrats to Tom! We are really excited for him! What a great accomplishment! One step closer to graduation and real life! CONGRATS TOM!!!

aSHleY said...

Hurray for a summer job. Conratulations Tom!

Jan said...

Congratulations on the new job, Tom! Looks like a firm that will offer a wide range of experiences!

Also enjoyed hearing how you two met - hadn't heard that story before!

RT said...

Seems like your dad would have known this story already! Life is funny! Sometimes is pays to NOT be prompt!

Kara, sounds like Erica owes you a bit now, doesn't it?

Randy

Jared Price said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared Price said...

Hey, good to hear from you guys! I can't believe it's already been 18 months since I went to that wedding reception at that place with all the funky statues. Glad to hear things are going well.

Hey Erica, I saw our old DB co-worker, Anneke, recently at Barnes and Noble (but pretended not to notice her--you'll recall she likes to talk a lot, and I didn't have time). I couldn't help but think of the time we decided, for no good reason, to hook up and leave cookies on her doorstep. She spoke of her befuddlement for weeks afterward.

I added you guys to my blog. People such as Dawnette, Melissa, and Kathleen are known to frequent. Keep in touch!

Jared Price