Saturday, May 19, 2007

our amazing vacation

Tom and I returned from San Diego this evening. Our plans were somewhat altered since Tom has been sick since Monday and he began to feel progressively worse throughout the week. We stayed at the cheapest hotel we could find; I was a little skeptical, but the place ended up to be pretty nice. Plus they had a decent continental breakfast. I am going to post a few pictures, but the rest of the pictures can be seen here. I'm going to upload a few pictures tonight, but the rest of them will probably get uploaded tomorrow or later this week.

Day One

On Wednesday we drove down to the Wild Animal Park. The weather was amazing (mid-60s and overcast) and the zoo was relatively empty (other than several dozen mothers pushing strollers). Tom was a trooper (considering that he was sick) and we spent several hours wandering around. Later that afternoon we went to La Jolla and walked around near the beach and enjoyed a delicious dinner.

Day Two

We ate breakfast on Thursday morning at a wonderful place in downtown San Diego. I had pumpkin waffles and Tom had eggs benedict which were both amazing. We spent our second day at the San Diego Zoo. This was a very different atmosphere than the Wild Animal Park, mainly because there were several different elementary schools visiting the zoo. It was LOUD. But we still enjoyed ourselves. The zoo had more of a jungle-feel compared to the safari-feel at the Wild Animal Park. After the zoo we went to Old Town and had some delicious Mexican Food. We then went to San Ysidro (this is on the US/Mexico border) to shop at a very large outlet shopping center. We got Tom some nice slacks for his new job and I got a couple shirts for work.

Day Three

On Friday we spent some time resting (since Tom wasn't feeling very well) and then headed over to Ocean Beach. This is actually where we went/wandered around/ate lunch when we visited San Diego in Dec 2005 so it was fun to visit again. This time we enjoyed some spectacular fish tacos. Afterwards we went to Mission Beach where we walked along the shore, watched some surfers, and split a delicious ice cream cone. We had my favorite meal on Friday night. We had done some restaurant research before we left, and one of the places that kept popping up was across the street from our hotel. It was a great Korean BBQ place, much like the restaurant that Tom worked at in high school. Delicious.

Day Four

Tom really wasn't feeling very good when he woke up this morning (his lymph nodes were visibly swollen) and I wasn't feeling that great either so we nixed our plans to go to Tijuana and decided to go to a movie theater near the San Diego temple (we had intended to visit the temple earlier in the week but had decided not to since Tom wasn't feeling well). We have only seen three movies since we moved to LA and since we both love movies, we took advantage of the opportunity to catch a couple of matinées. We saw Shrek 3 and Spiderman 3 and then enjoyed some Chipotle before heading back to LA. I was more impressed with the Chipotle (yum) than with either movie, but Shrek 3 was definitely the better of the two.

Now we are home and getting some much needed rest. Tom starts his job at Irell and Manella on Monday so we are hoping that he will recover before then. I will head back to work on Monday, but I am not too disappointed to be heading back since my mom and step-dad are visiting next weekend and I am really looking forward to seeing them :)


Anonymous said...

Erica, you do a great job and I enjoy reading about your family!! --Denise

aSHleY said...

What a fun trip. I love SD, it is so much different than LA. I lvoe all of your pictures, you will have to show me how you post them like that. Too bad Tom was sick. Good Luck to Tom today at his new job.

Jan said...

Looks like you had a great time - other than Tom feeling bad! I hope he's better and enjoying his summer job!