Monday, March 24, 2008

stubborn child

A few weeks ago I had an ultrasound at which the tech commented that the baby was breech, but that I still had plenty of time and she would definitely flip over soon. Then about three weeks ago I had another ultrasound at which I was told that the baby was breech, but again that I shouldn't worry because most babies turn between 32 and 34 weeks. Then at my 34 week appointment last week I had another ultrasound and the baby is still breech! The chances that she will turn at this point are pretty slim, so the options that my midwife gave me are moxibustion or seeing a chiropractor (neither of which my insurance covers) or I can try to have a doctor do an external cephalic version sometime in the next couple of weeks or have a C-section at 39 weeks. Anyone have any advice?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my advice, go ahead and try an external cephalic version, but it's not the end of the world if they have to cut you open. :)
--Denise

Jan said...

Erica, is the midwife or doctor making any kind of recommendation? What is safest for the baby - and for you? Or would a C-section be best?

Only you and Tom can make this decision at this point - but I'd get all of the facts and weigh them carefully.

I'm sure you and BJ will come through this just fine!

Ryan + Jess said...

I would go with what Denise said, but I don't have much experience in this area so I would probably go with what the midwife says. Wow - good luck and keep us posted!!

The Thomases said...

Well, I read about moxibustin and having an herb burned into your skin just sounds painful. So I probably wouldn't do that. There's definitely no harm in trying the external rotation. Also, check out this link (http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pthirdtri/0,,lz_9kzb,00.html). It talks about different exercises you can do to get the baby to turn. Good luck!

Katie Anderson said...

I know it's so tough and overwhelming making these decisions. Everything will work out. Sorry, no advice from me, just support!