Tuesday, March 15, 2011

long day

I have more stuff about the rest of our Utah trip but I will post that later.  Earlier today I was fixing Harper some lunch when I heard Rocko (my parents' lhasa apso) growl and Harper start screaming.  He had bitten her on the face.

I am not a huge fan of dogs, but I really like Rocko.  He has always been pretty tolerant of Harper as she chased him around, but she must have done something today that pushed him over the edge.  Harper loves dogs and I hope this doesn't change that.  I just hope we can help her to be a little more gentle and give animals a little more space.  But Rocko better stay away from my little girl in the future!

Luckily my brother Chase was home and he was able to go with us to Primary Children's hospital to get Harper stitched up.

I was pretty surprised at how well Harper handled the situation.  She screamed a lot at first, but she calmed down by the time we got to the emergency room and was very brave as she got an IV to be sedated for her stitches (she had to have an IV since she is allergic to eggs which are in the sedative they normally use).  They actually had a woman come in and talk to Harper about IVs and put a little IV in a doll's arm.  I think it really helped.  Harper got to keep the doll and colored on it with markers while we waited.
Harper chose the bumblebee bandage to hold on her IV.
I was really impressed with the doctors and nurses at the hospital and a really wonderful plastic surgeon stitched up Harper's face.  She had to have stitches on her nose, along a cut on her upper lip, and also in a puncture wound on her lip.  The plastic surgeon said that while it is never ideal to have cuts on your face, the location of her cuts were very good for healing with minimal scarring.  
It was so hard to see Harper out of it.  After she got her  stitches we could see the wounds a little better.  
I am so grateful that Chase was able to come with us.  He was so helpful with the kids for the 5+ hours that we spent taking care of this.

Luckily we had a late flight.  We made it back to LA even though just about everyone we saw asked what happened.  

11 comments:

Leilani said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Erica. Poor thing. I hope she's feeling better :(

Judy said...

How traumatic for everyone! I'm so glad you were close to a great hospital and that you have good insurance. Are there stitches on her nose too?

Doris said...

Those stitches are so tiny! How lucky you are to be near a children's hospital. But, I gaurantee, although Harper may not have memories of this, it is something you will NEVER forget. But, in the end, I expect, you will have a great story to tell Harper some day.

Tom said...

Yep, even the nose got stitches.

Jan said...

Sweet baby! I hope it doesn't affect how she feels about dogs as well. And I know Rocko had to be upset, too!

I'm glad she is all right and that she handled it all well. So glad Chase was able to be with you all through it!

ElderP said...

poor girl, hope she feels better soon.

April Celeste Garff said...

Oh no! I hope this doesn't sour your family's feelings toward dogs (especially Rocko). What a rough day for everyone. Going to the hospital is never pleasant, and on vacation makes it even worse. Hope Harper feels better soon!

kay.tee. said...

Poor Scout! Give her a good squish for me.

Morgan Moore said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! Is she okay???

betsey said...

So sad! I hope she is recovering okay.

Sherry (Li Rong) said...

Oh my goodness. That just breaks my heart. Poor Harper. What a brave little girl and Erica you're such a brave and calm mom! I don't know what I would've done! Hope she gets better soon.