Sunday, September 07, 2008

deciphering harper

Tom's sister Denise called me earlier this week (she has an adorable 9 month son, AJ) and we discussed whether or not our babies are cuddly. This made me start to think about whether Harper's behaviors are normal baby behaviors or they are part of her personality. Harper does not like to cuddle. She will not lay her head on my shoulder, she won't let me rock her, and she does not like to be in one place for too long.

Here are some other things that I have noticed that I think are part of Harper's personality.
1. She loves it when we make kissy noises at her. Pretty much any noise that you can make with your mouth will catch her attention, but nothing does it like a kissy noise.
2. She loves this song. I really enjoyed this song right after she was born and played it regularly when I was feeding her, and although I have since gotten sick of the song, Harper loves it. As soon as we start playing it she stops crying. It's amazing.
3. She prefers to be standing up all the time. She particularly loves to stand up in the bathtub. It's really funny because she will get agitated when I lay her down to wash her hair, but when I stand her up she gets really excited for a few seconds until she gets cold because she's all wet and out of the water.
4. She enjoys getting her diaper changed. Harper is never in a better mood than when she's on her changing table getting her diaper changed.
5. Sometimes Harper will not look at Tom. He will try to put his face wherever her eyes are pointed, but she will instantly avert her eyes and go to great lengths to look at something else. But recently she has also started grinning every time she looks at him.

Very interesting. Well, it is to us at least. She's such a funny girl. Here is Harper in her new jumperoo that we got her recently in an effort to continue filling our apartment with large, plastic baby items. She really likes it because she gets to stand up on her own.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Harper is such a cutie - it's hard to imagine that she isn't a cuddler! You certainly were!

And she's already a little minx - wrapping Tom around her tiny finger by refusing to look right at him! She's a Daddy's Little Girl, all right!

I'm sure her personality will continue to blossom....

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, it is fun to figure out what is just their age, and what's *them#

Anonymous said...

She is SO CUTE. Erica, I think she is looking more and more like you. Sorry, Tom.

Ryan + Jess said...

We have the same jumperoo - and Mady LOVED it!

Mady is not a cuddler either. I keep hoping she will grow into it...because I love it.Sigh.