Thursday, July 17, 2008

Other recent events

I have been kind of slacking with the blog lately. Here are a few of the things that we have been up to.

-I quit my job. Well, kind of. They gave me the option of coming back part-time, but even part-time is a lot of hours while Tom is working too so I turned it down. They then offered me a "per diem" position where I just come in occassionally if they need me. It turns out they do need me right now so they gave me the option to work as many hours as I want. I'm working for a few hours on Saturday morning so we'll see how that goes. The downside is that I no longer qualify for benefits :( This is a big downside since the spouse/dependent benefits for Tom's student insurance plan aren't very good. My job allowed Harper and I have pretty great insurance for about $26/month. This also included vision and dental insurance for both me and Tom. We are currently exploring other options if anyone has any suggestions. We need to have something in place by September 1st.

-We made a trip to Redlands for Tom to set up some electronics for Tom's aunt and uncle. It was a fun trip since Bob and Judy are wonderful and we also got to go to dinner with Tom's cousin Rachael and her husband Nate who just move to Southern California after living in Tokyo. Plus Tom got to play with new electronics all day which is pretty much his favorite thing.

-We went to a Bastille Day celebration at the home of Hogan's managing partner. I still don't know what Bastille Day is, but it was fun to chat with everyone since I haven't been able to go to many firm events this year.

-Harper and I have been going on lots of walks. Some of you may know that I love going on long walks. After having a c-section, I have been less enthusiastic about this, but I am starting to enjoy them again. Today Harper and I walked from our apartment to Tom's office.

-Harper has started drooling. A lot.

I guess that's about it . . . pretty boring, but pretty great at the same time.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Sounds like you are settling down into a cadence. Don't get too comfortable, though, as Tom will be finished with school before you know it - and then you'll have even more changes!

On the insurance thing - I don't have any suggestions other than to research it online and talking to others as much as you can. Insurance is expensive, but you all need coverage! Letting coverage lapse can have serious consequences.....

Rachael Hutchings said...

Bastille Day is the day the French stormed the Bastille in Paris (a large prison) and overthrew the monarchy. It's the French version of the 4th of July--the start of their Republic. :-)

Anonymous said...

good luck with insurance... My one tip is that eye glass insurance has never done much for us. An exam and a pair of glasses at Wal-Mart are as much as a years worth of premiums. (About $120)