Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ouch me too! Tom Suffers Sympathy Pain


So I woke up this morning about 2 hours before I normally do sleeping on my back. I was a little stiff and sore in that position and it felt like I hadn't turned naturally for awhile so I just kinda rolled left. Or at least I tried to. After only lifting my right shoulder a few inches I was rewarded with a very sharp pain underneath my left pectoral muscle. Laying still on my back resulted in the pain subsiding but any attempts at turning to my side quickly brought back the sharp pain, something along the lines of someone stabbing me with a pen. After a while of dozing in and out of sleep and reminding myself of the pain in my chest by trying to roll over again it occurred to me that something wasn't quite right.
I woke up and called my Dad (a physical therapist) and he informed me that I was most likely suffering from a dislodged something or other. Hey it was early, my mind takes about 6 hours before I really start grasping the world around me. Long story somewhat short the best case scenario is that I take it easy and hurt bad for a day or so. Worst case scenario I have to get some medical attention to correct whatever is dislodged (something to do with your rib cage and some tenuous connections to your spinal cord that can move a bit, resulting in exactly what I'm experiencing). The up side of this is now Erica isn't the only one who can complain about being in severe discomfort. Neither of us can easily get up from a sitting position and we are both hobbling around and moaning about aches and pains like a somewhat older couple (I know this topic is a sensitive one to some of our readership). Hopefully my body goes with option A and things get better quick, because I hear hospital chairs are far from an ergonomic nirvana.

2 comments:

Doris said...

poor Tommy! I hope you are using moderate to large amounts of anti inflammatory meds, placing frozen packages of vegetables on the site, and continue gentle moving. love, Mom

Jan said...

Wow - just think what you'll be like in the delivery room! The medical staff won't be sure who to give the "drugs" to!

Seriously, hope you're feeling better soon. Your mom's right - those frozen veggies work wonders!