Tuesday, April 01, 2008

failure :(

Well, Tom and I spent most of the day at the hospital. We got there at 8 and the version was supposed to be at 9, but the doctor had to do an emergency c-section on someone and then we had to wait for the anesthesia department to be on call in case we needed them, so we didn't leave the hospital until almost 3 this afternoon. Unfortunately, they were unable to get the baby to turn. They tried for about 10 minutes and I have to say, it was pretty disturbingly painful. The doctor said to expect some pretty major bruising on my abdomen. Thank goodness Tom was there with me. I had been warned that it would be uncomfortable, but more than that the idea of someone pushing that hard on my stomach was horrible. I am glad that we gave it a try, but the doctor said that for a variety of reasons I am not really a good candidate for the version in the first place (this is my first pregnancy, my amniotic fluid levels are on the low side of normal, and the placenta is anterior).

So now my options are to either schedule a c-section or to wait until I go into labor and have a c-section done. I am pretty sure that I am going to schedule the c-section since I really liked the doctor who attempted the version and I would like to have him do the c-section (I have been seeing midwives so now I have to switch to a doctor). I am trying to look on the bright side of things, but overall am still pretty upset about everything. I know it will still probably be okay and this isn't the end of the world, but that doesn't mean that I can't be ornery about it.

In other news, I completely forgot to mention that last week was our second anniversary. We spent a lovely evening together and enjoyed some pizza and frozen yogurt from Costco. The last two years have been amazing and I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful husband :)

9 comments:

Melody said...

It is great you gave it an attempt. The important thing is to get her here safely. She seems to remind me of a baby I had 24 years ago. She was a bit on the stubborn side. I guess this baby just wants to have things her way. We are getting so very excited! Things are getting close. Once you hold that beautiful baby in your arms, it won't matter one bit how she arrived here.

Ryan + Jess said...

I'm so sorry it didn't work! It seems like it would be hard to accept that you will have to deliver c-section, but once the baby is here safely you will feel much better about things. And having a doctor that you like will make a big difference, too! Good luck and thanks for the update!

Jan said...

The failure would have been in not trying! You would have always wondered how it could have turned out! I'm sure you, Tom and BJ (Baby Jackman) will come through this just fine!

Sharifa and Mohammed said...

I hope all goes well! Like your mom said, don't worry about things...no one's labor and delivery goes as planned - there are always problems! By the way, nice blog and take care

betsey said...

Way to give it a try...and be ornery! I think that sometimes it is helpful to let yourself be upset and sad! You are amazing and I CAN'T WAIT for your shower!!! We are excited for Baby Jackman, however she arrives :)

The Thomases said...

Ohh! I'm so sorry. At least you gave it your best shot. In the end the only thing that matters is having a strong, healthy baby! Do what you feel is right!

Candice McWhorter said...

aw, hun! Scott and I are sorry to hear about that. At least you have lots of people who love you and you're soon to have a baby that you'll love so much. It'll all be worth it. In the mean time, enjoy your last moments of being pregnant. You'll soon be done!

Rachael Hutchings said...

I'm sorry to hear about the failed attempt! Just think how much labor you get to avoid now though! I did 24 hours of labor before my c-section, so I like the thought of skipping it. :-) GOOD LUCK!

Christy said...

Hey girl, looks like you have a stubborn little girl on your hands..! haha. You know things always seem to work out best in the end, even when you dont think it is at the moment. You can now at least pick her birthday if you wanted to. :) I am so excited for you, you are going to be a great mother. Hope you are having a great day, and keep us all updated! Love ya